The Bridge is named after the resistance fighter Wilhelm Böse who had been executed 1944. He was member of the Communist Party of Germany and worked as a courier in the German arms and munition factory.
The Böse Bridge is the the first riveted bridge from steel in Berlin and a protected monument. It crosses the rails of the S-Bahn and the train between Prenzlauer Berg and Gesundbrunnen. At the Eastern end of the Böse Bridge had been the border checkpoint Bornholmer Strasse at times of GDR.
This was the first checkpoint which had been opened for the East Germans after the fall of the Berlin Wall.
A bronze table at the bridge reminds the opening of the border on the 9th of November 1989. During the guided historical tours the visitors were taken to the marking places along the former borderline.