Weissensee is named after the White Lake which is located in the middle of the district. The lake has a size of about 330 meters in average and by its almost 10 meters depth is one of the deepest lakes in Berlin. Due to its beautiful green surroundings the lake is a popular place for recreation in Pankow.
The lido covered with its fine sand is a nice place for bathing and relaxing. The swimming pool is one of the remains of the “Sterneckersches Etablissement”, a cultural establishment which had been destroyed by a fire in 1912. It also was known as “Castle Weissensee”. The former amusement park contained a restaurant with a dance hall, a garden theater, a music pavillion at the lake and several small buildings.
1913 the former garden house became a milk selling point. They sold milk from the community owned cowhouse to the baby hospital in the Hansestrasse. Today the milk house turned into a cafe. From its terrasse you can view to the big fountaine and the rowboats on the White Lake.
During the summer the open air theater at the shore of the lake offers a nice cultural program to its many guests.